Support the Director and Administrative Assistant of the Graduate Program in Marine Biology. Support the Laboratory Manager of the Grice Marine Lab. Provide administrative assistance to appoximately 175 undergraduate and 50 graduate students and approximately 150 resident and adjunct faculty of the College of Charleston and the Fort Johnson marine partners affiliated with the Grice Marine Lab and the Graduate Program in Marine Biology. The current Administrative Specialist is Melannie Bachman.
- Office Management- Manages the daily routine functions of the Graduate Program in Marine Biology, including interacting with students inside/outside of the program; answer the phones; handle inquiries about the Grad Program; types, copies, and distributes memoranda and other correspondence relating to the program.
- Graduate Program Recruitment and Assessment- Prepare recruitment posters and mail info packets to interested prospective students; communicate with applicants to ensure complete applications; arrange tours for potential applicants; keep contact info for all program alums; assist GPMB director in writing assessment reports. Responsible for recruitment and coordination of the Marine Genomics emphasis.
- Record Keeping- Keeps all records for the Grad Program in Marine Biology in a clear and convenient filing system, such that others, especially Program Director, can quickly find items if the Admin Assistant is not available; assists the Admin Assistant in managing computerized databases/spreadsheets, including databases on the graduate student population, sources of grant support, and annual program applications; maintains list of students residing in the dorms; keeps track of CofC student offices at the Marine Resources Research Institute at the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.
- Supplies- Maintain supplies for the Grad Program in Marine Biology including stationary supplies, computer supplies (e.g. printer ribbons and toner cartridges), and oversees use of the photocopy machine.
- Inventory and Equipment- Assists Lab Manager in maintenance and inspection of the laboratory’s facilities including the dormitory; completes annual equipment inventory; maintains common supply and equipment storage areas; oversees dormitory guest; assists with repairs and renovation as needed.
- Safety-   Assists Lab Manager with health and safety issues for the marine lab.
- Keys- Maintains accurate records of keys and gates cards and issues same; ensures the timely return of keys.
- Procurement Procedures- Assists in ordering supplies and equipment for facility, faculty and students in accordance with all procurement procedures.