Grice Marine Laboratory
205 Fort Johnson Rd.
Charleston, SC 29412
Ph.D., 1991, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Research emphasis: Phylogenetic systematics and biogeography of marine and freshwater fishes
Current research projects:
- phylogeny, biogeography and life history evolution of gobies: Use of anatomical, histological and molecular data in reconstructing phylogeny, with resultant phylogenies applied to studies of life history evolution and historical biogeography
- phylogeny of the deep-sea stomiiform fishes: further morphological studies, emphasizing osteology, myology and photophore histology, are underway which help to resolve several important evolutionary problems in the group
- new species of stomiiforms and gadiforms: morphometric and meristic data analyzed by multivariate ordination procedures are used in species discrimination; preparation of descriptions of numerous undescribed species
- historical biogeography of Bregmacerotidae: ongoing work to revise Bregmaceros and resolve the phylogeny of the species will eventually lead to an analysis of the historical biogeography and some aspects of the historical ecology of this group, in particular the evolutionary polarity of shallow versus deep-water living in this group of likely paedomorphic cod-like fishes
- Harold, A.S., and N.J. Salcedo. in press. Creagrutus yanatili (Teleostei: Characidae), a new species of characid from the Río Urubamba drainage, southeastern Peru. Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters.
- Harold, A.S. in press. Families Astronesthidae, Bregmacerotidae, Chauliodontidae, Gonostomatidae, Idiacanthidae, Malacosteidae, Melanostomiidae, Phosichthyidae, Sternoptychidae, and Stomiidae. In Carpenter, K. (ed.). Eastern Central Atlantic Identification Guide for Fishery Purposes. FAO Species Identification and Data Programme.
- Harold, A.S., and M.F. Gomon. 2008. Gonostomatidae, Phosichthyidae, and Sternoptychidae. Pp. 224-239, in Gomon, M.F., D. Bray, and R. Kuiter (eds.) The Fishes of Australia’s Southern Coasts, New Holland Publishing, 928 p.
- Harold, A.S., R. Winterbottom, P.L. Munday, and R.W. Chapman. 2008. Phylogenetic relationships of Indo-Pacific coral gobies of the genus Gobiodon (Teleostei: Gobiidae), based on morphological and molecular data. Bulletin of Marine Science 82: 119-136.