Hollings Marine Laboratory
Office H112E, Laboratory B104
331 Fort Johnson Rd.
Charleston, SC 29412
M.S. Biology, 1985, Austin Peay State University
Research emphasis: Microbial ecology and coral-microbe interactions, DNA damage and its effect upon the reproductive potential of coral, effects of stressors on coral health
Current research projects:
- development of molecular tools for assessing coral health
- understanding the role of Staphylococcus sp. in the marine environment
- determining the effects of dumped munitions on coral health
- the role of Symbiodinium in coral health
- Downs, C. A., Woodley, C. M., Fauth, J. E., Knutson, S., Burtscher, M., May L., Avadanei, A., Higgins, J., and Ostrander, G. K. 2011. A survey of environmental pollutants and cellular-stress biomarkers of Porites astreoides at six sites in St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. Ecotoxicology 20:1914-1931.
- May, L. A., Higgins, J. L., and Woodley, C. M. 2011. Saline-Saturated DMSO-EDTA as a Storage Medium for Microbial DNA Analysis from Coral Mucus Swab Samples. NOAA Technical Memorandum NOS NCCOS 127 and CRCP 15. 14 pp.
- May, L. A., A. R. Avadanei, C. S. Rogers, J. Miller, and C. M. Woodley. 2010. Microbial Community Analysis of Acropora palmata Mucus Swabs, Water and Sediment Samples from Hawksnest Bay, St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. NOAA Technical Memorandum NOS NCCOS 123 and CRCP 14. 7 pp.
- Kurochkin, I.O., Ivanina, A.V., Eilers, S., Downs, C. A., May, L.A., Sokolova, I.M. 2009. Cadmium affects metabolic responses to prolonged anoxia and reoxygenation in eastern oysters Crassostrea virginica. AJP-Regulatory, Comparative and Integrative Physiology. 297:R1262-R1272.
- Campbell, C., Bartlett, T., May, L., and C. Woodley. 2009. The effects of heat and oxidative stress on immunocompetence in cnidarians. MarSci.2009.07.090701.