Print a copy of this map and driving directions to Grice from downtown Charleston (PDF). In order to view the PDF file, you need Adobe Reader. Click here to get the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Take Calhoun Street to the James Island Connector (Route 30).
- From the connector exit on Harborview Road (Exit #2). From the exit ramp, proceed right on Harborview Road.
- Take Harborview Road to its end where the road comes to a “T” at Fort Johnson Road. At about 1 mile before Fort Johnson Road you will go by a shopping center with the Piggly Wiggly and Exxon on the right.
- Take a left on Fort Johnson Road. This will carry you directly to the South Carolina Marine Resources Center at Fort Johnson, where the marine labs are located.
- Proceed through the gates of the SC Marine Resources Center.
- The Grice Marine Laboratory is near the end of this road on the right hand side with a sign clearly marking the marine lab.
Print a copy of this map and driving directions to Grice from I-95 and I-26 East (PDF). In order to view the PDF file, you need Adobe Reader. Click here to get the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- From I-95, take Exit 86, I-26 East to Charleston.
- Continue on I-26E approximately 48 miles. Take Exit 216A, SC7S⁄Cosgrove Avenue. Bear right at the end of the ramp onto Cosgrove Avenue.
- Follow Cosgrove Avenue for approximately 2 miles. The road will fork; bear left toward Charleston, 171S (also called Old Town Road).
- Continue south for approximately 4.5 miles. (NOW HERE’S THE TRICKY PART)
- Route 171 will turn right at a light. Route 61 will continue through the light. You should continue through the light, immediately move into the right hand lane and follow the two lanes of Route 61 that veer right and up to form an overpass.
- Continue through the next two lights, then take the next right hand exit—(Route 30) going toward Folly Beach/James Island.
- From Route 30, take the first right hand exit (Exit #2 Harborview Road); turning right at the end of the exit ramp onto Harborview Road.
To the Fort Johnson Laboratories
- Follow Harborview Road for approximately 3 miles until it ends at Fort Johnson Road. Very near this intersection there is a convenience store on the left. (Just for reference, at about mile 2 you will pass a shopping center with a Piggly Wiggly on the right hand side.)
- Turn left onto Fort Johnson Road; continuing for about 1 mile and through the gate of the SC Marine Resources Center.