Ph.D.,1998, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution / Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Research emphasis: Behavioral ecology of fishes and fisheries conservation
Current and planned research projects:
- spawning and reproductive biology of flounders and reef fishes
- dietary studies of coastal sharks and other predatory fishes
- microhabitat use by spotted seatrout in Charleston harbor
- behavioral ecology of tropical tuna and dolphinfish
- use of local ecological knowledge in fisheries science
- Gaertner, J.C., Taquet, M., Dagorn, L., Mérigot, B., Aumeruddy, R., Sancho, G. and Itano, D. 2008. Assessing the diversity of pelagic fish using visual census data collected around drifting fish aggregating devices (FADs). Marine Ecology Progress Series 366: 175-186.
- Taquet, M., Sancho, G., Dagorn, L., Gaertner, J.C., Itano, D., Aumeeruddy, R., Wendling, B. and Peignon, C. 2007. Characterization of fish aggregations associated with drifting fish aggregating devices (FADs) in the Western Indian Ocean through underwater visual census. Aquatic Living Resources 20: 331-341.
- Moreno, G., Dagorn, L., Sancho, G. and Itano, D.G. 2007. Fish behaviour from fishers´ knowledge: the case study of tropical tuna around drifting fish aggregating devices (DFADs). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64: 1517-1528.
- Mann, D.A. and Sancho, G. 2007. Feeding ecology of the domino damselfish, Dascyllus albisella. Copeia 2007(3): 566-576.
- Sancho, G., Mitcheli, F., Mills, S. Fisher, C.R., Peterson, C.H., Johnson, G., Lenihan, H. and Mullineaux, L.S. 2005. Selective predation by the zoarcid fish Thermarces cerberus at hydrothermal vents. Deep Sea Research-I 52: 837–844.