Baruch Institute for Marine & Coastal Sciences
607 EWS Building
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
SCDHEC Office of Ocean & Coastal Resource Management
1362 McMillan Avenue, Suite 400
Charleston SC 29405
Ph.D., 2006, Texas A&M University
M.S., 2000, University of Southern Mississippi
Research emphasis: Estuarine ecology and management, conservation biology, fish ecology, oyster reef ecology, urbanization of estuaries, Human Dimensions of fisheries management, tropical ecology
Current and planned research projects :
- evaluating policies and management issues relating to coastal aquaculture in SC
- freshwater fishes of western Ecuador: toxicology, ecology, and evolution
- using near real time data in predicting bacterial concentrations for SC beaches and shellfish harvest areas
- created and restored oyster reef ecology including use of reefs by fishes
- Shervette VR, Gelwick F. 2008. Assessment of Essential Fish Habitat as nurseries for juvenile white shrimp Litopanaeus setiferus. Wetlands Ecology and Management 16: 405-419.
- Shervette VR, Gelwick F. 2008. Seasonal and habitat variations in fish and macroinvertebrate communities in a Mississippi estuary. Estuaries and Coasts 31: 584-596.
- Shervette VR, Gelwick F. 2007. Habitat related growth of juvenile pinfish Lagodon rhomboides. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136(2): 445-451.
- Shervette VR, Aguirre WE, Gelwick F, Blacio E. 2007. Fish communities of a disturbed mangrove wetland and an adjacent tidal river in Ecuador. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 72:115-128.
- Shervette VR, Ibarra N, Gelwick F. 2007. Influences of salinity on growth and survival of juvenile pinfish Lagodon rhomboides. Environmental Biology of Fishes 78:125-134.