Assistant Professor, Medical University of South Carolina
Hollings Marine Lab
331 Fort Johnson Rd.
Charleston, SC 29412
Ph.D., 2003, Yokohama City University, Yokohama, Japan
Research emphasis: Developmental and reproductive endocrinology in vertebrates, and environmental influences on it
Current and planned research projects:
- ovarian disorder and environmental impacts on gonadal differentiation using no-sex chromosomal animal, American alligator
- mechanism of sex reversal by in ovo exposure to estrogens or endocrine active compounds during thermo-sensitive period for temperature-dependent sex determination in American alligator
- exploring the common key genes for sex determination in vertebrates by comparing temperature-dependent and genotypic sex determining species
- identifying sex marker and environmental indicator genes in circulating blood cells or skin biopsy by non-lethal sampling from no-sex chromosomal and endangered species, such as crocodilians and sea turtles
- prediction of potential environmental endocrine disruptions through variety of nuclear hormone receptors from various vertebrates by in vitro trans-activation
- Kohno, S., Katsu, Y., Urushitani, H., Ohta, Y., Iguchi, T., Guillette, L.J., Jr., 2010. Potential contributions of heat shock proteins to temperature-dependent sex determination in the American alligator. Sex Dev 4, 73-87.
- Katsu, Y., Matsubara, K., Kohno, S., Matsuda, Y., Toriba, M., Oka, K., Guillette, L.J., Jr., Ohta, Y., Iguchi, T., 2010. Molecular cloning, characterization, and chromosome mapping of reptilian estrogen receptors. Endocrinology 151, 5710-5720.
- Katsu, Y., Ichikawa, R., Ikeuchi, T., Kohno, S., Guillette, L.J., Jr., Iguchi, T., 2008. Molecular cloning and characterization of estrogen, androgen, and progesterone nuclear receptors from a freshwater turtle (Pseudemys nelsoni). Endocrinology 149, 161-173.
- Kohno, S., Katsu, Y., Iguchi, T., Guillette, L.J., Jr., 2008. Novel approaches for the study of vertebrate steroid hormone receptors. Integr Comp Biol 48, 527-534.
- Kohno, S., Bermudez, D.S., Katsu, Y., Iguchi, T., Guillette, L.J., Jr., 2008. Gene expression patterns in juvenile American alligators (Alligator mississippiensis) exposed to environmental contaminants. Aquat Toxicol 88, 95-101.