Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research
National Ocean Service
219 Fort Johnson Road
Charleston, SC 29412
Ph.D., 1989, University of South Carolina
Research emphasis: Environmental toxicology
Current and planned research projects:
- lethal and sublethal effects of pesticides in fish and crustaceans
- lethal and sublethal effects of emerging contaminants in fish and crustaceans
- development of bioassay protocols for sediment-associated contaminants
- Harper, Heather E., Pennington, Paul L., Hoguet, Jennifer, Fulton, Michael. 2008. Lethal and sublethal effects of the pyrethroid, bifenthrin, on grass shrimp (Palaemonetes pugio) and sheepshead minnow (Cyprinodon variegatus). Journal of Environmental Science and Health Part B 43: 476-483.
- Key, Peter B., Chung, Katy W., Hoguet, Jennifer, Sapozhnikova, Yelena and Fulton, Michael H. (2008) Effects of the anti-fouling herbicide Irgarol 1051 on two life stages of the grass shrimp, Palaemonetes pugio. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part B, 43:1, 50-55.
- M.H. Fulton, J.L. Hyland, P.B. Key, E.F. Wirth, L. Balthis, C. Cooksey, K. Chung, and A. Leight. 2007. Characterization of Toxic Impacts on Living Marine Resources in Tidal Rivers of the Chesapeake Bay. NOAA Technical Memorandum NOS NCCOS 64. 78 pp.
- Fulton, M., P. Key, A.K. Leight, J. Daugomah, D. Bearden, S. Sivertsen, and G. Scott. 2006. An evaluation of contaminated estuarine sites using sediment quality guidelines and ecological assessment methodologies. Ecotoxicology 15:573-581.
- Fulton, M.H. and P.B. Key. 2001. Acetylcholinesterase inhibition in estuarine fish and invertebrates as an indicator of organophosphorus insecticide exposure and effects. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 20 (1):37-45.