Research Biologist, Organic Analytical Methods
National Institute of Standards and Technology
Hollings Marine Laboratory
331 Fort Johnson Rd.
Charleston, SC 29412
Ph.D., 2003, Duke University
Research emphasis: Effects of organic environmental contaminants on marine wildlife health
Current and planned research projects:
- develop and improve methods to measure halogenated organic contaminants, including organochlorine contaminants, brominated flame retardants, and perfluorinated compounds
- measure these compounds in tissues of marine animals, particularly sea turtles and marine mammals
- assess spatial and temporal trends of these compounds in marine species archived in the NIST Marine Environmental Specimen Bank
- investigate the toxic effects of these compounds on marine animals, with an emphasis on immunotoxicity and endocrine disruption
- Keller J.M., Swarthout R.F., Carlson B.K.R., Yordy J., Guichard A., Schantz M.M., Kucklick, J.R. 2009. Comparison of five extraction methods for measuring PCBs, PBDEs, organochlorine pesticides, and lipid content in serum. Analytical Bioanalytical Chemistry. 393(2):747-760.
- Peden-Adams M.M., Keller, J.M., EuDaly, J.G., Berger, J., Gilkeson, G.S., Keil, D.E. 2008. Suppression of humoral immunity in mice following exposure to perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS). Toxicological Science 104:144-154.
- DeLorenzo M.E., Keller, J.M., Arthur, C.D., Finnegan, M.C., Harper, H.E., Winder, V.L., Zdankiewicz, D.L. 2008. Toxicity of the antimicrobial compound triclosan and formation of the metabolite methyl-triclosan in estuarine systems. Environmental Toxicology 23:224-232.
- Keller J.M., Kannan K., Taniyasu S., Yamashita N., Day R.D., Arendt M.D., Segars A.L., Kucklick J.R. 2005. Perfluorinated compounds in the plasma of loggerhead and Kemp's ridley sea turtles from the southeastern coast of the U.S. Environmental Science and Technology 39:9101-9108.
- Keller J.M., Kucklick J.R., Stamper M.A., Harms C.A., McClellan-Green P.D. 2004. Associations between organochlorine contaminant concentrations and clinical health parameters in loggerhead sea turtles from North Carolina, USA. Environmental Health Perspectives 112:1074-1079.