Research Fishery Biologist
National Ocean Service
219 Fort Johnson Rd.
Charleston, SC 29412
Ph.D., 1995, University of South Carolina
Research emphasis: Environmental toxicology
Current and planned research projects:
- effects of pesticides and pharmaceuticals on vertebrate and invertebrate aquatic animal enzyme systems
- toxicology of pesticides, pharmaceuticals, metals and PAHs in crustaceans and fish
- sediment toxicity tests utilizing benthic and pelagic aquatic animals
- detecting nonpoint source runoff effects on estuarine ecosystems
- P. Key, J. Hoguet, K. Chung, J. Venturella, P. Pennington, M. Fulton. 2009. Lethal and sublethal effects of simvastatin, irgarol, and PBDE-47 on the estuarine fish, Fundulus heteroclitus. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part B. 44(4): 379-382.
- P. Key, K. Chung, J. Hoguet, Y. Sapozhnikova, M. Fulton. 2008. Effects of the anti-fouling herbicide Irgarol 1051 on two life stages of the grass shrimp, Palaemonetes pugio. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part B. 43(1): 50-55.
- P. Key, K. Chung, J. Hoguet, B. Shaddrix, M. Fulton. 2008. Toxicity and physiological effects of brominated flame retardant PBDE-47 on two life stages of grass shrimp, Palaemonetes pugio. Science of the Total Environment. 399 (1-3): 28-32.
- P. Key, K. Chung, T. Siewicki, M. Fulton. 2007. Toxicity of three pesticides individually and in mixture to larval grass shrimp (Palaemonetes pugio). Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 68:272-277.
- P. Key, E. Wirth and M. Fulton. 2006. A review of grass shrimp, Palaemonetes spp., as a bioindicator of anthropogenic impacts. Environmental Bioindicators. 1(2): 115-128.