Harry Reid Center for Environmental Science
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89154
Ph.D., 1999, Clemson University
M.S., 1996, Clemson University
Research emphasis: Sub-lethal toxicological effects of environmental contaminants. We assess various health effects depending on the mechanism of action of the contaminant and endpoints often include the immune, endocrine, metabolic, and nervous system. Clearly, there is a link between marine/wildlife health and human health that can be assessed using sentential wildlife species. In fact, effects in wildlife are often our first clue to potential effects on human health.
Current and planned research projects:
- children’s environmental health and marine mammal health
- development of immunological tests to monitor and assess health risks in bottlenose dolphin and loggerhead sea turtle populations, both ex vivo and in vitro, following exposure to marine contaminants
- J. E. Yordy, M.A.M, Mollenhauer, R. Wilson, R. Wells, A. Hohn, J. Sweeney, L. Schwacke, T. Rowles, J.R. Kucklick, M.M. Peden-Adams. Complex contaminant exposure in cetaceans: A comparative E-SCREEN analysis of bottlenose dolphin blubber and mixtures of four persistent organic pollutants. Submitted.
- J.S. Reif, M.M. Peden-Adams, Tracy A. Romano, C.D. Rice, P.A. Fair, G.D. Bossart. (2009). Immunodeficiency in Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) with Lobomycosis. Medical Mycology, (Epub 2008; Jul. doi: 10.1080/1369378080217849) 47(2):125-35.
- D.E. Keil, T. Mehlmann, L. Butterworth, M.M. Peden-Adams. (2008). Gestational Exposure to Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) Suppresses Immune Function in B6C3F1 Mice. Toxicological Sciences. (Epub 2008 Feb 5, doi: 10.1093/toxsci/kfn015), 103: 77-85.
- M.M. Peden-Adams, J.M. Keller, J.G. EuDaly, J. Berger, G.S. Gilkeson, D.E. Keil. (2008). Suppression of Humoral Immunity in Mice Following Exposure to Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS). Toxicological Sciences, (Epub 2008 Mar 20, doi: 10.1093/toxsci/kfn059), 104: 144-154.
- R.D. Day, A.L. Segars, M.D. Arendt, M. Lee, M.M. Peden-Adams. (2007). Relationship Of Blood Mercury Levels to Health Parameters in the Loggerhead Sea Turtle (Caretta Caretta). Environ. Health Perspec. (doi:10.1289/ehp.9918), 115(10):1421-8.