Senior Biologist, JHT Incorporated / NOAA
Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research
219 Fort Johnson Road
Charleston, SC 29412
Ph.D., 2002, University of South Carolina
Research emphasis: Non-point source pollution in aquatic systems; coastal land use and population growth; monitoring of emerging contaminants in aquatic systems; the development, refinement, and usage of laboratory bioassays, microcosms, mesocosms and flow-through systems for aquatic toxicology
Current and planned research projects:
- the fate and effects of gold and silver nanoparticles in estuarine systems
- the effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals on estuarine crustaceans and fish
- the validation of tag and release methodologies for small crustaceans
- the development and refinement of mesocosm and flow-through toxicity testing apparatus and protocols
- Balthis, W.L., Hyland, J.L., Fulton, M.H., Pennington, P.L., Cooksey, C., Key, P.B., Delorenzo, M.E., & Wirth, E.F. 2009 (In press). Effects of chemically spiked sediments on estuarine benthic communities: a controlled mesocosm study. Environ Monitoring Assessment. Vol TBA.
- Ferry, J.L., Craig, P., Hexel, C., Sisco, P., Frey, R., Pennington, P.L., Fulton, M.H., Scott, I.G., Decho, A.W., Kashiwada, S., Murphy, C.J., & Shaw, T.J. 2009 Transfer of gold nanoparticles from the water column to the estuarine food web. Nature Nanotechnology, 4, 441-444.
- Key, P.B., J. Hoguet, K.W. Chung, J.J. Venturella, P.L. Pennington, M.H. Fulton. 2009. Lethal and sublethal effects of simvastatin, irgarol, and PBDE-47 on the estuarine fish, Fundulus heteroclitus. Journal of Environmental Science and Health Part B 44(4):379-382.
- Winder, V.L., Sapozhnikova, Y., Pennington, P.L., & Wirth, E.F. 2009. Effects of fluoxetine exposure on serotonin-related activity in the sheepshead minnow (Cyprinodon variegatus) using LC/MS/MS detection and quantitation. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, Part C 149 (2009) 559–565.
- DeLorenzo, M.E., Pennington, P.L., Chung, K.W., Finnegan, M.C., & Fulton, M.H. 2009. Effects of the antifouling compound, Irgarol 1051, on a simulated estuarine salt marsh ecosystem. Ecotoxicology, 18, 250-8.